Fairbanks Operations Manager/Dispatcher
Summary/Objective The transportation operations manager is responsible for processing sale orders, dispatching drivers, safely operating lifting and moving equipment, providing quality and quantity control of staged materials, loading operations, and the efficient scheduling and routing of freight. The position coordinates all shipping and receiving through the Fairbanks terminal. This position is accountable for clear, timely communication and paperwork during the “full cycle” of the process (from sales request, in transit, and delivery).
- Plans, coordinates and supervises the administration process of receiving sales orders and the conversion into picking orders.
- Dispatching drivers for pick-up and delivery.
- Plans delivery by organizing truck loads and routing schedules.
- Coordinates staging of freight.
- Oversees the preparation of delivery documents and bill of ladings for drivers.
- Coordinates which pieces of equipment (Trucks, Trailers, etc.) needs servicing.
- Responsible for permitting and routing of oversize and overweight loads.
- Perform daily yard inventory checks and report status to Palmer Operations.
- Inspect and evaluate incoming equipment and machines and determine malfunctions and defects.
- Maintain service files of all equipment and machine repairs, services, adjustments, and work performed.
- Load and unload carious equipment and freight from or to delivery trucks.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
Supervisory Responsibility This position manages all employees of the Fairbanks department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work This is a full-time position. Hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., 40 hours per week. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Familiarity with driving industrial trucks and various construction equipment.
- Familiarity with hauling extreme weight.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a transportation management position.
- Two years in leadership role.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Six or more years of experience in material management type operation.
- Three to five years of experience in a leadership role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Logistics Management
- Four years of experience in material management type operation.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of load permits and state and federal truck driving regulations.
- Knowledge of and ability to safely secure loads for transport.
- Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Ability to assess and record written data and information.
- Ability to communicate information in writing so others will understand.
- Ability to effectively understand and communicate verbally with others.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor.
- Ability to meet delivery schedule with dependability and consistency.
- Ability to operate a commercial truck.
- Ability to drive construction equipment for axle loading and unloading purposes.
Ability to frequently lift and move up to 100lbs and climb on and off loads. Ability to sit and drive for long periods.
Work is performed in the equipment yard and at project sites with moderate to loud noise levels. Much work time is spent on the road driving to and from pick-up and delivery sites, including night driving.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.